Thursday, September 3, 2009

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOOTTBBBAALLLL???

Ok. So I have zero excuses for not writing lately. Football season is officially upon us. And I'm not currently working. The combination of those two things should be leaving you with more posts than you care to read. But such has not been the case. I have not really had anything funny or interesting to comment on this pre-season. But with the start of college football tonight, and the last Browns preseason game, I figured I should throw something out there to all my loyal fans.

So here you go. I'm going to give you my run down on preseason so far, and what I'm looking forward to this coming season. And a special added feature at the end for the aspiring Browns fans out there (they exist... more on this when the time comes)

First things first. What has come to be a recurring theme in Berea in recent years, The QB Competition. Because it wouldn't be preseason without a little controversy surrounding the oh so important job of starting QB.

I just really don't even have much to say on this. I feel like I'm just rehashing what I always say. Its frustrating that we have a new coach who still can't make a decision to back either quarterback. I understand he wanted to be fair and give each guy an equal chance at the job. But didn't Derek Anderson have an entire season to prove himself last year? He sure as hell didn't prove himself to me. Not that Brady Quinn did either, but he didn't see as much playing time as DA last year. I'm not 100% a Quinn fan, but I'd like to see what he can do so we can end this debate once and for all and we can decide if he was worth it. And plus, with him gracing the covers of such fine publications like "muscle fitness" how can we go wrong? After tonight, hopefully we will know with some certainty and we won't have to resort to coin flipping.

As for the rest of the offense, I won't go as far as to say I'm excited by what I've seen, but I do see improvements. I haven't been able to watch much of preseason other than recaps here and there because I was in Boston for the first and at a wedding for the second. Last weeks game against the Titans was really the only impression I have of the team. But offensive touchdowns are always a good thing.

Defense is still pretty meh in my book. I mean they got some good plays in but there's still quite a few weak points. And if I was a fantasy football person, I don't think I'd be scrambling to pick the Browns as my defense. We've got some good tools to work with though and hopefully we can improve as the season progresses. (side note on fantasy sports: I wanted soooo badly to do fantasy football this year, but am too afraid it will consume my life. To an unhealthy degree) I tried a failed experiment at fantasy baseball this year, but I lack the passion for baseball that I have for footbal. I ended up letting Yahoo autodraft for me and forgetting I even had a team until about a week ago... oops!)

Ok well I wanted to write in more detail, but I guess that's going to have to wait until after the game, which will include my much anticipated new feature which will be somewhat of an idiots guide for the new Browns fan, inspired by a friend of mine who has expressed desire to become a Browns fan this year. She's going to need all the help she can get! :)

No comments: