Friday, November 21, 2008

It's Friday and I don't want to work...

I've got typical Friday fever... aka extreme lack of motivation to do anything work related. Lucky for me, I can entertain myself with this here blog of mine.

So much has happened in Cleveland sports this week that my mind is in overload! There is really no way I could narrow my thoughts down to one topic to ramble about... so I'll throw them all out there.

In semi-chronological order, here's what I've been thinking this week.

Monday Night Game.
Well we won. I'll take it. But it sure as hell wasn't pretty. Other than Phil Dawson. That man in incredible. Wind at his back or not, a 56 yard field goal is an amazing feat (and is amazing feet too!). That being said, I can pretty much start writing about games before they even happen. Here's my recap for this coming Sunday's game against the Texans:

Texans kick off to Browns. Cribbs returns to about the 50 for great field position. The offense slowly moves the ball forward, actually converting a few times. It looks like we're going to go up 7-0 to start the game. Pass to Edwards in the end zone... DROPPED. Cue Dawson. FIELD GOAL. Repeat several times. By the end of the 1st half, the defense SOMEHOW manages to hold Houston, and Dawson proceeds to kick 8 more field goals. Three of them from behind the 50 yard line. The Browns are up 27-0. Cue the second half, where our guards proceed to hold hands with Houston's running backs and skip with them down the field, and the rest of the defenses stands and observes as their QB lobs pass after pass over our heads to the waiting receivers. Our offense pretty much shuts down. This continues for much of the second half. As the clock winds down to the two minute warning... the game is now 28-27, Texans. Panic mode begins...

Sadly, that is probably going to be a pretty accurate description of how things will go.

Hopefully that prediction doesn't spur an:

Angry email from Phil Savage.
This whole situation is one of those you shake your head and kind of laugh because really, you don't know what else to do. (Here's the actual emails that were exchanged back and forth) Only in Cleveland does a GM respond to fan criticism with an Go root for Buffalo- f#$!@ you! This is now my stock response for any disagreement I have with people. What's that, you don't like my blog? Go root for buffalo- f#@! you! My boss tells me he needs a report on his desk by 5 o'clock tonight? Go root for buffalo- f#&! you. You want me to pay my bills? Go root for buffalo- f$#! you.

But you know what...

At least the Cavs are good.
This just in. The Cavs are good this year. Really good. Really ridiculously good. I realize that we lost to Detroit on Wednesday. But that is irrelevant. That was coming off an 8 game winning streak, and back to back away games. Now I admittedly don't follow the Cavs as closely as I do the Browns. I'd seen that we'd been winning games and heard that we're a stronger team than last year. But I had to see it for myself to believe it.

And that's just what happened.

Tuesday night I had the pleasure of seeing LeBron light up the Izod Center. Even when we were trailing through the first half (never by more than a few baskets), I thought we looked like the superior team. We were grabbing rebounds like they were going out of style, and even though we were down, I could tell that we were in control of the game. Mind you this might have been a somewhat biased opinion, but not entirely inaccurate. But we EXPLODED in the second half. Now Bron Bron always impresses, and had a few of his signature razzle dazzle plays, but what really surprised me is how great his supporting crew looked. It seemed like every time I turned around West was making another 3 pointer. We looked tough on D. We had a quickness on the court. Mo Williams? Definitely added a presence to the team. And I love Gibson. I'm excited for this team. I still can't get too excited until post season starts, but I will definitely make an effort to catch a few more of the nationally televised games this year.

Insert witty and appropriate transition here...

Broken finger.
To top off all the other mess going on with the Browns right now, Quinn has a broken finger. Luckily its just the tip (sooo many jokes right there that I'm not even going to touch...). He's still supposed to play, and hopefully it won't really effect him. But still, knowing our luck, he'll end up with staph, DA will be back in, and we're right back to where we started. And if somehow DA manages to scrape together a decent quarter or two, then what? There are some scary possibilities out there. This article is just terrifying. We're bad, but we're just mediocre enough that we might not be able to do anything to fix it. I agree with the author when he says "Get me a Christmas Ale. Stat." And if you deny me my Christmas Ale, then you know what, "Go root for buffalo- f#!@ you."

Maybe the magic of Christmas Ale will be enough to lure:

Bill Cowher to Cleveland.
The rumors of Cowher as the new head coach in Cleveland have been flying for sometime. But they've been just that. Rumors. Until now. Its been confirmed, kind of (thanks to my friend Ryan for this link, since he's already yelled at me for not crediting it to him once) that there are at least talks between the Browns the the former Steelers coach. Now I used to loathe this guy. I have said he looks like he eats small children for breakfast. (You can't deny this...) Well I'm sure there's plenty of small children in Cleveland.... Seriously. I just hated him because he led the enemy to victory. I am more than willing to jump on the Cowher band wagon if he comes to Cleveland. But I can't get excited yet. Because for now we kind of have to weather out the storm that is brewing and see what happens....

I think that covers all the big things that have been running through my mind all week. So we'll wrap this up. And I really should do some work. Actually screw that... It's Friday... Go root for buffalo- f#!@ you. (and I've officially over used that...)

No comments: