Monday, December 8, 2008

A Bad Day for Football




So for all intents and purposes, Romeo's career and this season has been dead for awhile. Sunday was the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned though. I have flat out just stopped caring, and this isn't even fun anymore. And there's no way in hell that we don't have a new head coach next year.

We've gone beyond bad, we're now predictably bad. And I've seen it coming for awhile. I went back and read some of my old posts, which got me thinking about all the past games this season, and we keep repeating the same mistakes. Over and over. Mistakes are ok if you learn from them. Romeo and the Browns clearly have not. I'm thinking of applying for the head coaching job myself. If Mike Singletary can motivate the Niners by mooning them, imagine what me flashing could do for the Browns...

Watching the game on Sunday, I didn't even get mad or upset when we did something horrible. I just kind of shook my head, because I expected it. Anytime we got even got over the 50 yard line, I wasn't even thinking 'Maybe we'll score a touchdown', I merely thought 'Hopefully we can get close enough for Dawson to kick'. I don't even expect offensive touchdowns from us anymore. As far as I'm concerned, the job description of any football team's offense is to score touchdowns. We've gotten to the point that I'm not even expecting this team to do their job, the job that we are paying them millions to do.

I couldn't even get mad when Dawson missed a field goal. I think he's just sick of carrying this team. And I don't blame him. At one point during the 3rd quarter, I received a text message "We're only down by 4 FGs". Yep. Not 2 touchdowns, because I'm not entirely sure we know what those are.

On the rare occasion that the Browns did do something well (and I mean relatively speaking, I consider them doing routine things like completing simple passes to be "playing well" at this point), I couldn't even get excited. We couldn't string enough decent plays together to make anything happen, so why get excited?

Beyond the Browns, the rest of the NFL also disappointed me. If the Browns can't satisfy me, I count on other teams to put a smile on my face. I've become a pseudo Giants fan (not because they won the Superbowl last year, but because I occasionally will watch them play with various groups of friends who are lifelong Giants fans). They let me down as well. And I was really looking forward to them going undefeated the rest of the year so Browns fans could sport those really cool 18-1 shirts!

To top it off... the Steelers won (as the Cowboys choked, Browns style, giving up somthing like 17 unanswered points in the 4th quarter). Yuck. At least the Lions lost. Some things will never change. I found myself a bit upset when I saw they were up at half time. At least they came through with a loss for me. So we've got that going for us....

At this point, all I can say is: Bring on the Cavs!


No comments: