Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bitter Sweet

Well I'd like to start off by saying that I'm pretty excited that I know that we will go two weeks without a loss. (Since we somehow managed a win last week and we don't play this week). That's something right?

It seems like all the good things I can point out about this team this year and said through clenched teeth. Its all bitter sweet. Like two weeks without a loss. If only that translated into back to back wins....

The win against the Bengals in and of itself was bitter sweet. We didn't play amazing football, winning a game with our heads held high. Oh no. We merely embarrassed ourselves slightly less than an even worse team who was playing with a back up QB. I think our defense was our best offense this week. At least we walked away without a zero at the front of our record.

There was one play this week that was stood out to me as so typical of the team this year. We had a nice interception in I think the 2nd quarter, that on the return, was fumbled. I'm pretty sure the Bengals GAINED yardage on that play. As I've said before, its not that we aren't being given opportunities, it's that we are failing to do anything with them.

This past game also somewhat delays the inevitable. Mind you I don't think I could have functioned this week due to the cloud of depression that would have resulted from a loss to this joke of a team. I will take a win over a loss in all circumstances. But at least it would have forced some action. In terms of staff, QB, etc, etc. Now we're stuck dealing with the same crap for at least another game or two.

There's just so much wrong with this team right now. I really hope they can fix some things in the extra time they have due to the bye week. Somehow, I don't see that happening though. I had a conversation with a friend who recently got a position as an intern for one of the major Cleveland news channels covering sports. Very cool job which has given him the chance to visit the locker room, go to practices, interview players, etc. Yesterday he told me that during a recent trip to the locker room, several players with large contracts were complaining about practicing in the rain. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? This is your freaking job!!! This is football. In Cleveland. Bad weather comes with the territory. Be glad it's not snowing. You're getting paid millions of dollars to do this. I promise, you will not melt. No wonder we can't win games against real teams.

So I guess now we wait. Wait to get our asses handed to us on a platter on national TV. I really hope I eat my words. Somehow though, I doubt it.

No comments: