Monday, September 8, 2008

An All Too Familiar Feeling...

Loss. Disappointment. Bitterness and cynicism. In other words: Sunday. These feelings are all too familiar in the life of a Browns fan. I was hoping this year was going to be different... but it was the same old thing.

I'm going to take my stab at playing Monday Morning (well, evening) Quarterback... In my opinion the game was more of a blowout than the 28-10 final score would lead you to believe. So here's my thoughts on the game for what they're worth:


Braylon Edwards.
Wow. That's all I can say. And not good wow either. He is dead to me until he starts proving himself. I actually took my jersey off during the game yesterday I was so disgusted by his lack of play making. (My Browns jersey bears the number 17, and luckily, I had worn a shirt underneath) He couldn't catch a ball to save his life. I guess that's what I get for placing faith in a player to come out of the state up north. Its looking like his little barefoot run may have some long lasting effects. This pisses me off. Also, next time you want to make ridiculous bets, you'd better come out playing strong from game one to back all your talk. For the record Braylon, you have to CATCH THE BALL to score touchdowns.

Defense.
Again, all I can say is wow. Our defense has more holes than golf course. And the Cowboys found and exploited those holes early and often. Honestly. I don't think they could have stopped a high school team. They gave Romo so much time that he could have written a love song to Jessica Simpson before throwing the ball. It was disgusting to watch. I think there might have been one play that we actually put some decent pressure on him. And that was probably as a result of luck rather than actual talent.

Offense.
For a team whose offense is supposedly a strength, I was not impressed. Beyond Braylon sucking it up, no one really stood out or dazzled me. There was nothing exciting. Not having Cribbs hurt. I'm not sure if better field position on our drives would have helped, but it certainly couldn't have made things worse. And with around 10 minutes left in the 4th when we finally had a drive to get excited about... WE KICKED A FREAKING FIELD GOAL EVEN THOUGH WE WERE DOWN BY 21 POINTS. Seriously? I mean I don't claim to know everything there is to know about football, but there seems to be something inherently flawed with that move. Why not just go for the TD? What did those 3 points prove?

Other stuff.
Browns need to learn to take advantage of opportunites they are given. I commented early on to the Cowboys fan that I was watching the game with that penalties were going to come into play. Unfortuntaly, they didn't. I think Dallas had something like 7 penalties by the end of the first quarter. We should have been using that to our advantage. We didn't.

I hate TO. Seriously, I do. Every time I watch him play, I hate him more. Especially after his little display of unsportsman like conduct after is TD catch. I remember one time seeing a sign from an opposing fan that said "TO has BO" (which i think he either proceeded to tear down or throw the ball at or something). That about sums up my thoughts on him. He sucks at life. Straight up.


Hole In the Wall is the stupidest and most genious show all at the same time. The show is simplisticly stupid in concept. Its basically human tetris and people have to conform their bodies to pass through a shape in a hole in a moving wall. If they fail, the smack into the wall and fall into a pool of water. There is something absolutly hilarious about this. And the time slot is the real genious. Its on Fox right after their Sunday football games are over. So the main audience is drunk football fans. This was really the only redeeming thing of my Sunday night. We watched this at the bar after the game with no sound. And it was amazing. Thank you Fox. This show will last. Only until the end of football season. Once people cease to be drunk on Sunday nights, this show will lose its appeal.

Thats it. So I am left with the bitter taste of defeat in my mouth. And this bad mood/funk will likely last into mid-week. I hate that a football game has that kind of power over me. Expect more rants/complaints as the week progresses.

No comments: