Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Weebles Wobble....

I have fond memories of these lovable little toys from my childhood. If you don't know (or remember) what they are, here's what Wikipedia (my go to source for everything!) has to say:

"Weebles is a trademark for several lines of children's toys originating in Hasbro's Playskool division on July 23, 1971. Shaped like eggs with a weight at the fat, or bottom end, they wobble when pushed, but never fall completely over, hence the name."

So where am I going with this, you may ask. Well I have noted time and time again that a one Romeo Crennel bears an uncanny resemblence to these playthings. Don't believe me? See for yourself:
So anyway, there is a popular catchpharse that goes along with the weebles: "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down." Or do they?

Romeo has been pretty wobbly lately. It's in his nature. He's a bubbly egg-shapped kinda guy... (his resemblance to the dog weeble is uncanny). My problem is he doesn't so much live up to the "they don't fall down". He is falling. And fast.

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine earlier about the fate the Browns this year. He seems to think that Romeo may be shown the door sooner rather than later. It is his sentiment that after this week's matchup against the Ratbirds, the losing team will be a little bit lighter in the head coach department. I think that might be a bit hasty, but I will agree that Cleveland's own Weeble is teetering dangerously close to the ground, and if he doesn't bounce back up soon, he'll be thrown out like a defective recalled toy.

And I can't say that that would make me sad. He's had ample opportunity to do something with this team. Obviously his first year or two would be trasitioning/rebuilding years. Last year he had the chance to make the Browns a true Cindarealla story. I can't blame our dashed playoff hopes solely on him, but I do feel a stronger coach would have at least had us playing in the first round.

And this year he has been absolutly horrendous. As a whole, I feel that the team has taken a giant step back. But, to borrow a phrase from the business world, he needs to set the "tone at the top". The talent is there (or was at least...I am starting to have my doubts). We need someone who can hold it together and make things happen. He's proven more than once that he is not the man that can do that.

He can't call time outs. And he clearly needs some basic math lessons. (hint: 3+3<7) He has left may a Browns fan, or anyone with half a brain watching the football game, scratching their heads saying: "What was he thinking??"This is not the fearless leader that our team needs. We need someone who's not afriad to take chances (and by take chances, I mean attempt to score enough points to win a freaking game). We need someone the team will respect. We need someone the fans and critics will respect. This person is not Romeo. I will not pretend to know who it is, because I don't. I will leave you with another, not so suble pop-culture reference that sums about how I feel about the career* of our head coach:





*please note, as I have stated in the past, I would never wish death upon anyone, which is why I specified his career, not him as a person.




No comments: