Sunday, September 7, 2008

Every New Begining

Every new begining comes from some other beginings end. Not really an original thought, but it sums up how I feel right now.

Every new football season brings with it a wave of emotions. This year is no different. The start of training camp and preseason marked a new beginning. Today marks the end of that beginning (thankfully!) and with it, the new beginning of the 2008-2009 football season. Lets take a look at the litany of emotions that are surging through me.

Excitement.
I am giddy with excitement. Some people like summer, some spring, hell, some people even like winter. Me? My favorite season is without a doubt FOOTBALL season. Now that its officially started... I can no longer contain my excitement. And the Browns are getting some notice this year. There's always a certain buzz around them in Cleveland, but there's been some national recognition this year, after many, many, many years of being pretty much a joke. With 5 officialy nationally televised games, people will be watching. Which brings me to my next emotion:

Fear.
OK. I'll admit it. I'm terrified. The Browns have this strange power over me. They have the power to make or break my week in a matter of a couple hours. This season is not going to be easy. First, there is the recurring story line of injuries. It seems every time you turn around, some other key player is injured. From respectable injuries that inevitably occur in the course of game play, the the absurd head shaking injuries a la running barefoot or motorcycle stunts (really, I will really never get past that one). And then there's this new fear that comes with being in the spotlight. I fear a word that I have already started to hear, but I really am refusing to let sink in. Overrated. I hope that the Browns can eliminate this thought from the minds of many.

Optimism.
Despite my fears, I am perpetually optimistic. I love my brownies. I have faith in them. I always have. Even at their worst. And I always will. As a life long Cleveland fan, I am realistic. I prepare myself mentally for the worst. But deep down inside, I always have that sense of optimism. Maybe this will be our year. Maybe the pieces of the puzzle will finally fit into place. Maybe our luck will change. No, we don't have a lot of depth, but who knows, maybe there will be some surprises. No one expected DA to be what he was last year. Maybe we've got some more DA's down there on the depth chart. Sure we didn't see it in preseason. But preseason is over. Our guys have a new chance to prove themselves. When it counts. Regardless of what happens, its going to be fun to watch.

I could continue, but its almost game time! Time to head up to the Browns Backers bar, my own personal piece of Cleveland here in New York and let the fun begin. Hold on tight Cleveland fans! Its going to be a wild ride this year, and only time will tell where its going to take us.

No comments: